Saturday, March 3, 2007

Old and new

Well, Spring is almost upon us, Daylight Savings time too, and the repairs are coming out of the woodwork.

Worked on a circa 1990 or so Gary Fisher that was the epitome of what was trick then, from the short-lived 1 1/4" headset standard, to the red anodized drilled out aluminum derailleur pulleys, thumb shifter, the whole bit. The funny thing, everything still WORKED. True the fork is almost a rigid fork by todays standards, but the 'average' person doesn't really need 5 or 6 inches of suspension to ride on the bike path.

I can't help but wonder how well the latest greatest carbon fiber Uber bike will hold up 17 years from now...

It'll probably be in a landfill somewhere, at least that's my gut feeling. I doubt if it'll still be ridden on a regular basis.

In my back room is the bicycle that was my 17th birthday present, and while it's long in the tooth, with minor work it'd still be ridable today.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day today, I'm glad I was riding.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I saw a picture of your ANT bike that got smashed on the ANT website. Sucks man. Can't wait to check out the replacemANT.

Bicycle Repairman / Shaggy said...

Yeah, it should be in any day...